- Develop and maintain automated tools that clean and enhance static transit data such as transit routes, stops, trips or shapes. For processes that cannot be automated, build tools that allow non-programmers to easily do the job.
- Write future-proof algorithms to merge datasets in various formats and from multiple providers into a cleaned and unified whole
- Collaborate with the app team to define and populate new data attributes for future versions of the app
- Refactor and improve our pipeline’s architecture to simplify maintenance and enable easily plugged-in components or steps
- Fluency in Node.js or other general-purpose programming language
- Knowledge of object-oriented & functional programming
- Interest in manipulation of big data sets
- Solid communication skills in English (and ideally, French)
- Capable entry-level candidates are welcome to apply
💯 Would be nice if…
- Polyglot! The more languages you can speak, write and understand, the better
- Passionate about cities, urbanism, public transit, design, technology, or all the above
- Experience dealing with multiple sources of data and different APIs
- Familiarity with transportation data formats like GTFS and GTFS-rt
Don’t feel like all the requirements apply to you but you still think you’d be a great fit for Transit? Don’t hesitate to apply!
💰 Compensation and benefits
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 5 weeks vacation
- Apple laptop and equipment
- $1,500 annual mobility allowance. STM? BIXI? Uber? E-bike? Scooter? Going car-free is free at Transit.
- A training and development budget
- Generous maternal/paternal/parental leave policy. Gotta fill out our tandem bicycles somehow!
- Flexible work hours
- Spend your days surrounded by first-rate teammates and the best
view of Montreal Zoom backgrounds in the world
👨💻 A note on diversity
Public transit is used by overwhelmingly more women and people of colour than other modes of transportation. We try to make sure the diversity of our users is reflected in the team that serves them. Because when we include people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and identities — we end up building a better app for everyone who uses Transit.
We encourage candidates of all ages, genders, origins and orientations to apply. If you’d like to specify which pronouns you’d like to be referred to, feel free to include that in your application email.
And if your lived experience has given you a unique perspective on all things transportation, mobility, accessibility, urbanism? Let us know, and we’ll make sure your application gets the attention it merits.
📬 How to apply
Transit is a "let me teach you how to do that" kind of work environment. And we’re excited to have you join it. Ready to apply? Shoot us an email at [email protected] with a quick summary of who you are and some projects you’re proud to have worked on. We look forward to meeting you!
PS: When you apply, let us know how you heard about the position! Whispers, grapevines, middle-of-the-night Google searches? We’re dying to know.